I have a huge sweet tooth and I’m always craving desserts but for obvious health reasons I try to limit my consumption. I was inspired to make this recipe because I was recently craving Brookside Dark Chocolate Crunch Clusters (must try if you haven’t yet!). I love the crunch in the chocolate and really wanted to create a healthier version of it— of course, any dessert should be consumed in moderation.
The cereal I used is One Degree Veganic Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps and I just got it at my local Sobeys, however you can use any cereal you feel fit. I personally think the puffed variety works best, and it tastes better with extra cereal. This recipe isn’t too sweet but the dark chocolate flavors can be strong so I highly recommend having this with some unsweetened almond milk. Also enjoy this snack quickly! This recipe is coconut oil based, meaning that it WILL melt if you leave it out for too long.
I hope you try out this recipe and would love to hear what you think!
Guilt-Free Crispy Dark Chocolate Bar Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Freeze time: 20 minutes +
Yield: 12 Servings + (depending on how you slice it)
1/2 Cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/2 Cup coconut oil (melted)
1/4 Cup agave nectar or honey
2 Cups of cereal
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 pinches of sea salt
– Medium-sized square container
– Parchment paper or tinfoil
1. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 10-15 seconds at a time.
2. Combine all ingredients (except cereal) in a large bowl.
3. Mix well until there are no clumps of cocoa powder.
4. Add cereal and mix.
5. Line container with parchment paper or tinfoil.
6. Pour mixture in the container, pat down and cover it up.
7. Place in freezer for 20 minutes or more.
8. Slice into squares and enjoy with almond milk!